Monday 24 May 2010

"Can't you revise next week?"

Parents. Enough said? Well clearly not because I'm about to rant on about them for a whole post...

Usually when something happens, like an argument, I look at the situation and I think 'actually, yeah that was kind of my fault, or I could have done something to prevent it', but not recently. Recently I really do think it's them.

Since my brother went to uni I don't feel like we're a proper family anymore. It's just 'them' and 'me'. It's like they've grown out of having kids and having to look after anyone. They do all the things that old couples, whose children have left home, do like go on days out and weekends away walking and that...but I haven't left home. I'm still here. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I want to be the third wheel on their boring outings but, I feel exactly that...I feel like a third wheel.

They disappear for a few hours, without telling me, locking me outside because they 'forgot I was there' and they expect me to get on with whatever I'm doing, no help, no guidance. But when I go out and mess them around all hell breaks loose. I think they've given up on parenting, they can't be arsed anymore. They're too wrapped up in their retirement-style lives that I come far down on their priorities. Yes they do look after me in the practical sense- they cook, clean, and taxi for me but I don't think I have ever felt more distant from them before. But they seem to think I'm as close as ever.

Rant, over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment